Silver Haired Legislature
Marion County Silver Haired Legislator
The Kansas Silver Haired Legislature (SHL) is a unicameral legislature composed of 125 representatives. All are over 60 and are elected from their county residence. The legislature provides an educational experience in the political process and provides an opportunity to identify priority concerns of Kansas senior citizens. The SHL develops bills and resolutions which are presented to the Kansas Legislature and the Governor as recommendations for state policy.
The purpose of the Silver Haired Legislature is:
- To Educate-Participation provides experience in the political process
- To Inform-Actions of the SHL inform the public and the Kansas Legislature on concerns of the elderly
- To Involve-The SHL provides over 412,000 seniors a way to become involved.
2018 SHL Resolutions
1. Support the expansion of Medicaid (Kancare) in Kansas.
2. Support and fund the KDOT rural public transportation program.
3. Fully fund all Kansas Public Employees Retirement System obligations, including the interest at 8 percent on the bonds passed two years ago.
4. Provide a cost of living adjustment for each retiree who is entitled to receive a retirement benefit from KPERS
5. Pass property tax relief for qualifying low-income senior citizens.
6. Support the repeal of the 2015 Property Tax Lid law that put limits on the spending of city and county governments.
7. Pass funding assistance for grandparents who become the legal caregivers and guardians of their grandchildren.
8. Strengthen the grandparents' rights law concerning child custody, visitation, and residency matters.
9. Pass a law concerning motor vehicle liability insurance coverage limits.