TYPES AND CATAGORIES
OF HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS
- Biotoxins - poisons that come from plants or animals
- Blister agents/vesicants - chemicals that severely blister the eyes, respiratory tract and skin on contact
- Blood agents - poisons that affect the body by being absorbed into the blood.
- Caustics - checmicals that burn or corrode people's skin, eyes and mucus membranes on contact
- Choking/lung/pulmonary agents - checmicals that cause severe irritation or swelling of the respiratory tract
- Incapacitating agents - drugs that make people unable to think clearly or that cause an altered state of consciousness.
- Long-acting anticoagulants - poisons that prevent blood from clotting properly, which can lead to uncontrolled bleeding
- Metals - agents that consist of metallic poisons
- Nerve agents - highly poisonous chemicals that work by preventing the nervous systems from working properly
- Organic Solvents - agnets that damage the tissues of living things by dissolving fats and oils
- Riot control agents/tear gas - highly irritating agents normally used by laws enforcement for crowd control or by individuals for protection
- Toxic alcohols - poisonous alcohols that can damage the heart, kidneys, and nervous systme
- Vomiting agents - checmicals that cause nausea and vomiting