Check Your Utilities
- Locate the main electric fuse or circuit breaker box, water services shut-off and natural gas main shut-off.
- Contact local utility companies for instructions on how to turn off the utilities. Teach family members when and how to turn off utilities.
- Clear area around shut-off switches for easy access.
- Attached shut-off wrench or specialty tool to a pipe or other location close by the gas and waster shut-off valves.
- Paint shut-off valves with white or fluorescent paint to increase visibility.