In Your Vehicle
When driving a vehicle and you hear the advice to “shelter-in-place” on the radio, take these steps:
- If you are close to home, your office, or a public building, go there immediately and go inside.
- If you are unable to get to a home or building quickly and safely, pull over to the side of the road. Stop your vehicle in the safest place possible. If it is hot outside, it is preferable to stop under a bridge or in a shady spot, to avoid being overheated.
- Turn off the engine. Close windows and vents.
- If possible, seal the heating/air conditioning vents with duct tape.
- Listen to the radio for updated advice and instructions.
- Stay where you are until you are told it is safe to get back on the road. Be aware that some roads may be closed or traffic detoured. Follow the directions of law enforcement officials.